Monday 24 August 2009

PS

PS - I read Al's post just after having posted my own, so he pipped me to the post in mentioning Parimal. Just to quickly respond to his point about the call-response technique of learning which Parimal demonstrated, I actually think that it can be applied to the Western approach very usefully. As Al said, the students of Western classical music (and especially piano students) get very used to not using their ears. I think the aural technique Parimal demonstrated has immense benefits in this department - there is no sheet music, just the instrument, so students would have to get used to playing according to what sounds they're making, and would not be able to passively hit piano keys without thinking about the sound it makes. Just one small point there, but one of many ways in which the Indian approach can inform and assist the Western one.

Ruairi x

No comments:

Post a Comment